Position Title: Life Skills & Youth Development Intern (Tyson Summer Internship)
Location: Lowell, AR
To positively impact youth development through teaching and coaching life skills and golf skills through First Tee – NWA programs.
● Assist First Tee – NWA lead coaches in the set up and delivery of programming.
● Successfully complete the Assistant Coach online training.
● Learn and implement lesson plans.
● Promote First Tee – NWA mission by modeling First Tee Nine Core Values and adherence to First Tee Code of Conduct.
● Maintain a professional and cordial attitude towards co-workers, volunteers, participants and their parents.
● Be charismatic, personable, and motivational in working with youth.
● Meet and greet participants and parents when they arrive for class.
● Represent First Tee – NWA in a professional manner to the public.
● Maintain and organize all equipment storage areas.
● Maintain consistent and regular attendance.
● Will be responsible for working between 6 – 8 hours per day (Monday-Friday) with 75% of the time
spent coaching/mentoring the participants and the other 25% spent in an office setting learning
about First Tee – NWA programs, providing customers with a good experience and helping develop
new programs to benefit the youth in the Northwest Arkansas Community
● Must have an outgoing, fun personality.
● Must possess good interpersonal skills.
● Thrive in a team environment.
● Must be able to communicate effectively with children and parents.
● Proven experience teaching and/or coaching kids and teens.
● Be punctual and dependable.
● Flexible work schedule, including working weekends.
● Reliable transportation.
● Bilingual fluency in English and Spanish is desirable.
● The game of golf, rules and etiquette,
● First Tee Life Skills Coach Philosophy,
● First Tee Nine Core Values,
● First Tee Nine Healthy Habits
● First Tee Mission and Education Objectives.
● The use of personal computers and various Windows-based applications programs. Basic office equipment knowledge
Development and Community Outreach:
● Assist Director of Programming in representing the Chapter to the community and aid in fundraising, marketing, public relations and communication efforts
● Assist as a chapter contact for applicants, volunteers, students and parents
● Network with other chapter colleagues and exchange best practice ideas
● Assist Program Director and CEO with public education and outreach activities (Kiwanis, Rotary, Chambers of Commerce, etc), including public presentations, advocacy, training and testimony
● Assist with Parent Orientations and maintain communication with parents
● Handle walk-in participants, volunteers, potential donors and parents in a polite and courteous manner
● Operate standard and specialized office equipment
● Providing Student Specialist with participants’ information and progress through the skills review process
● Relay students’ certification information to parents
● Act as receptionist when needed and receive and screen First Tee – NWA visitors and telephone calls and take messages and reports. Make judgments on call priorities
● Provide factual information regarding inquiries about First Tee – NWA programs and activities, as well as First Tee home office programs and opportunities
● Create flyers and notices to participants and parents regarding schedule changes, special events and related routine communication
● Assist Programming Team with writing Thank You letters on a periodic basis
● Assist Director of Programming in the creation of promotional brochures to increase awareness of the facility
● Proofread and check typed and other materials for accuracy, completeness, compliance with First Tee – NWA policies, and correct English usage, including grammar, punctuation, spelling
● While interning at First Tee – NWA, an individual will learn how a non-profit organization operates.
● The individual will also learn the importance of the development of our youth in Northwest Arkansas, by teaching them life skills and core values through the game of golf.
● Will learn to work with a diverse group of individuals as a team with one goal, which is to help develop the youth of Northwest Arkansas to help create a better community.
● Learn how to interact with customers and help come up with a resolution for any problems that come up.
● Gain experience in developing and implementing new programs to help serve the youth of Northwest Arkansas.
● First Tee – Northwest Arkansas objective is to expand our reach in our community. With the development of new programs, we can offer additional services to the community that may not be able to be able to attend our sessions.
● Help expand our customer relations with our parents and participants.
● Create and implement more seamless activities during our life skills programming.
● Expand our reach in social media to raise awareness about First Tee – NWA program.
Application can be completed by going to United Way of Northwest Arkansas.
Call 479-419-5807 for questions regarding this Internship.